Tuesday, December 12, 2006

The Possible Decline of a Treasured Friendship

I have been best friends since I was 9 years old with a girl I met in primary school. Danielle and I were more like sisters than friends, and our friendship had survived long distances, failed relationships, sporadic phonecalls (once every 3 or 4 months or so) and "life" just generally getting in the way. However, that said, I always thought we had the kind of friendship where we could just pick up where we left off, without too much drama. This is how it had happened for the 6 years since I left WA.

That was until last night.

I rang her, as she's been teaching in Karratha, WA for the last 6-ish years, and was looking to get a transfer somewhere south of Perth. School finished in WA last week, so I thought I'd give her a call and see whether she got a transfer. Her other half answered the phone, and told me that she'd already left there to stay with her parents. She had managed to secure a transfer to Bunbury, and he was packing up and driving down later this week.

So, I rang her at her parents' place for a bit of a chat. The conversation continues on like old times, until the bombshell "Oh, by the way, I'm 18 weeks pregnant". The fuck?????? You're 18 weeks pregnant, the sprog's due in May, I'm your best friend (at least that's what I had thought), and this is the first I'm hearing about it?

How did our friendship drift away so badly that the first I'm hearing about such a significant, life-changing event, is half way through it happening?

Bloke thinks I'm overreacting, but I just feel like I've been cut adrift. Such major news, and I knew nothing about it.

I feel very excited for her, but sad about the slow loss of my oldest friend....

4 comments:

Steph said...

No way are you over reacting. I'd be hella pissed to find out something like that the way you did.
I hope you get past it and find a way to reconnect. Good friends are so hard to come by.

hawkeye23 said...

Steph!!!!! You're back on the intarwebs!!! How's the injuries?

phishez said...

My bestie from uni got herself engaged. I'm not sure when, but we were talking the other day and she told me she'd been living with this guy for a year. First I'd heard about it.

But I'm not that upset about finding out so late. I'd be hella pissed if I found out after she got married.

Emmie said...

Don worry ! All will be just fine...be lest assured..Time is the best healer