Monday, November 13, 2006

An Unexpected Reaction to an Expected Event

Bloke and I were at Altona Gate shopping centre on Saturday morning. This shopping centre is completely out of our normal rotation of shopping centres, but it's near Bloke's work, and we were en-route to Tasman Meats, which explains (partially) our appearance here. We were randomly browsing through one of those cheap and nasty homewares shops, just rummaging, when the 10 o'clock (I think) news came on the radio.

The news that Belinda Emmett had lost her battle with cancer was met with a very sombre reaction on my part. It really rocked me; why, I don't know. I knew she was gravely ill; she had looked very unwell for quite a few years, kind of haunted/hunted. I think the thing that really shook me is how young she was, she was only 2 years older than me. Now, I hate her husband (Rove McManus) with the fire of a thousand suns, but I couldn't help but feel admiration for this man who, knowing his sweetheart was terminally ill, married her anyway and stood by her regardless. I felt only compassion for this man, and could only wonder at the depth of his pain.

Bloke was quite disturbed by my reaction, and tried to understand it, but how do you explain something to someone when you don't understand it yourself?

Anyway, Saturday night we ventured out to hillbilly banjo territory (Upper Ferntree Gully) for a countery at the Royal Taverner with a friend from work, whose whippersnipper I had held hostage for nigh-on 12 months. Excellent steak and a couple of bevvies were enjoyed by all, before heading home, sombre, sated and contented.

Sunday morning Bloke and I headed into the city, as it was time to purchase a new handbag for me (the old one in danger of exploding under pressure), a blanket to take to the Speedway, and generally have a look around, and start thinking about Christmas Shopping. Bloke managed to find presents for his sister-in-law, whose name he drew in the Secret Santa ballot, and also managed to find a shirt and shorts to wear over summer. I found a pair of shorts as well, so it was a day well-spent on all fronts.

How steamy was it yesterday? The thunderstorm in the evening was a blessed relief from the humidity.

7 comments:

Cazzie!!! said...

I too was shocked over Belinda's passing, even though we knew the time would come, so young.
Altona Gate is not such a bad place to go shopping, I used to frequent the place when I lived there, it has gotten bigger over the years. Highpoint is just great at Maribyrnong too.
Today it is between sunny then showers, then hail out here...unreal!! I guess your shorts will come in handy sometime next week? One can only hope right?

Marcheline said...

1. Who is Belinda?
2. What is a countery?
3. I know what you mean about people not understanding how attached you can get to celebrities (I'm assuming Belinda is a celebrity there)...
4. If any of my questions seem snarky, it's not because I'm a fuckwit, it's because I'm not from there (which may be the same thing in your book - ha!)

- M

Marcheline said...

Oh, forgot one:

5. What the hell is a whippersnipper?

Thanks,
M

hawkeye23 said...

Marcheline, your questions aren't snarky at all, don't worry. Allow me to clarify as best I can:

1. Belinda Emmett is/was an actor in soaps on TV over here. She also dabbled in movies and singing. She married a bloke who does a poor man's version of Letterman here, and died on Saturday.
2. A countery is a counter meal at the local pub. Although, in this case, it was more of a bistro situation than a counter meal per se.
3. A whippersnipper is, I think, the same thing as a weedwhacker (is that what you guys call them?)

Kate said...

ah I so understand. I had the same reaction about belinda- and I can't explain it either. I am not even particually a huge fan. But I was so sad about the whole thing.

Steph said...

I think everyone had the same reaction to Belinda's passing.
Very sad.

phishez said...

I had absolutely no idea! I don't follow the news, so I found out the day before her funeral. I'm just a bit slow sometimes. But yes, it is a shock. She was well loved by us Aussies.