Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Bloke Does Backyard Blitz

Bloke's work is apparently very quiet at the moment, so his boss sent him home around 2pm yesterday. Evidently, on his way home, Bloke detoured to Bunnings and purchased a pruning saw thingy, in order to get in touch with his masculine side.

Now, I'm not sure if I've mentioned before, but our backyard is an unmitigated disgrace, due to our landlord being unwilling to either put proper lawn down, or pave/concrete it. We have been thigh-deep in weeds for nigh on 6 months now, and unable to use our clothesline as a result. We went through winter drying our laundry on two clothes airers in our study. Finally, about a month ago, our landlord arrived like the messiah with a 5 litre bottle of weedkiller, and told us to go for our lives. Bloke did, and as a result, the weeds are dead, and he's cut them down with the since-returned whippersnipper.

Yesterday, pruning saw purchased, and permission obtained from the landlord, Bloke took to the lemon and plum trees with vigour, and I now have access to my clothesline! Huzzah!

Now, for the landlord to pave or lawn the area, so that we can have people over for a barbecue without being embarrassed right down to our underpants.

3 comments:

Cazzie!!! said...

LOL, reminds me of when we moved into a house together when I was at nursing school some 16 years ago or so. We moved into the house that our land lord actualy had lived in right before us.
We had to whipper snipper the grass before we could mow. I had to get on a table and clean the roof of the kitchen, because she cooked with lard and it had gotten on the roof. I scraped it first then used a bleaching agent ont he roof. Then I painted the roof. She almost died when she visited, to see how white and clean the place was. She had forgotten she had rose bushes in her yard, she couldnt see them before, 3 years before mind you!!
Yep, I have been where you are today, nice to have a BBQ with friends once it is all fixed up. The weather certainly is getting better for it. :)

hawkeye23 said...

Indeed Cazzie. Since Bloke has done his backyard blitz, I've done two loads of washing. I folded the first load last night, and it just smelled wonderful... fresh and clean, the way freshly laundered clothes should smell. The towels come off the line this afternoon when I get home from work, and they should be fluffy, soft and snuggly.

Why is it that little things like this make me happy?

Steph said...

Jebus! Get on the landlords back to fix that yard up!
I had to threaten my Real Estate with Dept of Fair trading to get repairs and THEN the landlord himself came out to do it.
Guess what? he's HOT! meooww! Gotta blog about that one soon ;)