Sunday, October 08, 2006

Our Day in the Members at Flemington

Well, what an interesting and awesome experience. Bloke donned a suit for the first time, and looked HOTTTTTT! Goddam! I did feel sorry for him, bless his cotton socks, as he hates wearing a tie, yet he did it, and didn't complain. I was all frocked up with freshly straightened hair (took me half an hour to do), makeup, stockings; the whole catastrophe.

We met our friends at the train station at the course, and as they own a horse that was racing in the 9th, they smuggled us in for free (very economical, and left more money for the bubbly wine later). We had missed the first race, but apparently this wasn't a problem as it was only a 2 y.o. race, and the quality of racing wouldn't've been that good.

We were in the Atrium part, and our first minge (martie will appreciate this) sighting was very early in the day. Two laydeez standing on a floor a couple of storeys up from us, right near a window above us. Bloke could see right up their skirts, and I imagine the same could be said for the other 5,000 punters in the room as well. They weren't even wearing nice knickers. The shame!

I managed to work out those little machine thingies at the TAB, so I didn't have to place my bets with the little man. This made me happy, as I could take my time, and make as many changes as I liked before I hit the "submit bet" button. I had a win on the 3rd race, which covered my bets for the rest of the day, so I was very ecstatic about that. Bloke had a very big win on the 4th (I think) and used it to pay for dinner later in the evening. Awwww. How sweet.

There seemed to be a LOT of women (middle aged) who apparently do NOT own a mirror, and think it's perfectly acceptable to be seen in public with leathery, saggy cleavage on full display. Wrong. Put it away. And girls, those baby doll dresses that are in fashion now all make you look like you're up the duff. And don't even get me started about bubble/tulip skirts; they were bad in the 80's, and time has done nothing to improve them.

Things I would do differently next time I go to the races:

  1. Not wear 4 inch heels - my back is now all sorts of crunchy, and my feet are still hurting.
  2. Wear an outfit that doesn't require the wearing of stockings. Logistical nightmare. I hate them.
  3. Allow more time to get ready. I hate having to try and do perfect makeup with limited time.
  4. Take a more streamlined handbag option.

But, other than that, I had a brilliant day. I drank a lot of champagne, had a big win early on which paid for my day, and had Bloke to get me home safely, and laugh at me in my drunken state.

2 comments:

Kate said...

hahahahaha did you have to line up to go to the portaloos with 80 other drunken women for almost half an hour???? or is that just oaks day?

hawkeye23 said...

kate, the Members' facilities are very good. Inside, non-smelly and with marble-look benchtops. Very impressive.

Although, I did have to endure the half hour wait at half time at the Grand Final. Saw none of the halftime entertainment.